December 2013 - Healthy Holidays
Food is a major part of the festivities during the holiday season. The temptation of sweets and high fat foods are sometimes too much for someone who is trying to eat healthy to resist.
Steps to a Healthier Holiday
1. To avoid overeating, donít go to holiday meals or parties after not eating all day. Eat breakfast or have a light snack before you go.
2. Reduce your portion size. Take small amounts of your favorite holiday foods.
3. Listen to your stomach and stop eating when you are full.
4. Be physically active. It is a great way to burn off some of those extra calories, as well as relieve stress.
5. Move away from the food table. This reduces the urge to overeat and allows one to focus on spending time with family and friends.
6. Modify traditional holiday foods and recipes to reduce fat, sugar and sodium.
Not letting yourself have special foods during the holiday season is almost certain to lead to overeating and guilt. Enjoy the holiday season and the special holiday foods that you like by planning ahead and watching portion sizes.